Federal Perkins Loan
Perkins Loans were low-interest federal student loans for undergraduate students. Due to budgetary issues, the federal government phased out the Perkins loan in 2017. Final loan disbursements were allowed through June 30, 2018. The information contained here is for past Perkins Loan Borrowers who are in repayment.
- Loan repayment begins nine months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status. This nine-month period is known as the grace period.
- At the end of the grace period, you begin repayment and are allowed up to 10 years to repay the loan.
- The assigned third party billing servicer for all Perkins loans is Heartland ECSI, they manage your billing and repayment options.
- You will need your Heartland Key, which is included in the disclosure statement you received from ECSI, in order to register and access your account.
- If there are issues accessing your ECSI account, visit their FAQ page.