Faculty Research Grants
We are pleased to announce the guidelines for Faculty Research Grants (FRGs) in accord with University Statutes. FRGs will support research and sponsored research projects by tenured and tenure-track faculty. Listed below are the specific guidelines for FRGs.
Applicants must submit the following documents online no later than January 15, 2019:
- Up to $5,000 as professional development funds for external grant proposal preparation or in support of research and non-sponsored research activities.
- The grants can support research assistants, consultant fees, non-conference research travel, supplies or books based upon reimbursement through the University.
- Funds will be available on July 1, 2019.
- The applicant must be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member.
- Preference will be given to applicants preparing external grant proposals.
- The applicant is eligible to receive a FRG award up to three times in five years.
Applicants must submit the following documents online by January 15, 2019:
- Application form
- Two-page Curriculum Vitae
- Funding Justification Narrative (Please follow FRG narrative guidelines)
- Request for Proposal (RFP) from funding agencies, if applicable
- Name of potential publishers and journals, if applicable (please refer to the examples of previous narratives)
IV. Post Award Procedures
- Award funds must be expensed by April 1, 2020.
- Process for obtaining payment of expenses:
- Submit a hard copy memo including your name, appropriate years of funding, and a brief explanation of your expenses making clear that it complies with your approved budget
- Follow the handbooks from Accounts Payable and Human Resources (the Administrator’s Manual), available by clicking “Guidance” on the Office of Sponsored Programs website.
- Requests for travel reimbursement must be submitted within 30 days of completing the relevant travel. Expenses may include the cost of transportation, lodging, per diem, and car rental (see University Travel Policy).
- Submit purchase orders or check requests accompanied by invoices. Required documentation must be attached as hard copy originals.
- When paying an individual (such as a research assistant or an independent contractor), you must submit appropriate paperwork in order to register them in the Fordham system before they start to work.
- Submit the appropriate Fordham Accounts Payable or HR paperwork completed with everything except the budget numbers and authorizing signature.
- Each grantee must submit an FRG summary report of his/her scholarly activity by October 1, 2020 and is required to present a talk at a Faculty Research Day event.
V. Non-Allowable Expenses
- Funds cannot be used to compensate yourself or any other member of the Fordham Faculty or Staff.
- Funds cannot be used to reimburse travel expenses for attendance or presentation at conferences, but for academic journal editors, travel would be allowable if it is designed to recruit articles, meet with authors, and promote the journal at book exhibits at major conferences.
- Purchasing computers and computer peripherals must be justified in the Funding Justification Narrative as directly necessary to this specific project and substantially different from what Fordham has already provided or would be expected to provide to faculty generally. (If allowed, this will be a one-time purchase and will not be replaced by the University at any time in its life-cycle.)
- Equipment purchases of any kind must go through Procurement. Computer acquisitions (including leased computers, printers and other computer related hardware/software) must be approved by IT Acquisitions. (Please see the Fordham IT Supported Software for a list of supported and available software.)
VI. Grant Operation
- The University Research Council will organize a peer review committee to evaluate applications.
- All FRGs are administered and managed by the Office of Research.
- The number of grants and the eligibility requirements may be adjusted periodically based on the availability of funding.